Unknown (Evliya Çelebi mentions the architect as Mimar Sinan in his letters)
Changes after its construction
The mosque, which had fallen into disrepair in the 19th century, was repaired.
It underwent major restorations in 1940 and 1987 and has completely lost its original condition.
In 2004, the land located southwest of the mosque was purchased and added to the courtyard; separate ablution areas for men and women and underground toilets were built.
Prominent Features
The mosque was originally built with walls made of stone, and its roof, women's gallery and narthex were made of wood. Its minaret is on the right and its entrance is from the inside.
The body of the minaret, which is built entirely of cut stone, is angular and its cone is covered with lead.
During the restoration, the walls were completely covered with Kütahya tiles, and the minbar and the preacher’s pulpit were rebuilt from wood. The high ceiling is concrete.
2 long and thin windows on the west and mihrab walls of the Harim. Meanwhile, the roof and women's gallery have been repaired, and the garden and fountain have been revitalized.
The founder of the mosque, Hacı Hamza, is buried in the cemetery across from the “Merkez Efendi Tekke” outside Sur (Walls of Istanbul). Sheikh Hamza, whose grave is in the graveyard of the mosque and who is confused with its founder, is one of the famous sheikhs of his time.